Should The New Wood Fence Be Stained?
September 4, 2016
Originally published June 28, 2009.  Small edits and/or updates of new information now included.

Should the new wood fence be stained? This question can be re-phrased two different ways! First-How long would you like the new wood fence to last? Second-Would you like the new wood fence to be even more beautiful for a longer time?

A wood fence is definitely an investment in, and an improvement to a property. It’s also something you get to look at for many years to come.

Simply applying only one coat of stain will increase the life of the new wood fence. I recommend giving the wood fence a new coat of stain every 3 to 10 years: depending upon various climates & environments, the appearance, and your free time and level of motivation (if you do-it-yourself). Modern stains seem to have been chemically engineered to also function as wood preservatives. And those hungry little bugs that eat fences everywhere certainly don’t like the taste or after-affects of a good, strong oil base stain!

I often use a specially engineered exterior stain & sealer!  Even today’s modern exterior paints perform very well over time as long as the application is done correctly.  The stain that I favor is supposed to be one of the best outdoor wood stains that money can buy!  Many builders and suppliers feel that the brand of stain we use IS the best!  Certainly two coats are available if you wish.

Oil-base means solvent based, as in petroleum solvents, of the same class as gasoline, diesel, paint thinner, etc.  A good, penetrating toxic oil-base stain is just what you want because it is also toxic to termites!  Just don’t go licking the fence while the stain is still wet right after application (the current fads of “no responsibility” and “it’s okay to be stupid, kinda cool, haha” are rendering more and more people into those very same useless categories and mindsets, beware you don’t fall into that trap!

Call me direct on my cell at 310-717-2000 for an in-person estimate for your new wood fence or other outdoor wood project!

12 comments on “Should the new wood fence be stained?
  1. Lydia says:

I see something genuinely special in this website.

2. kristi says:

I think the writer of this web-log (blog) is in fact working
    hard for his site, because all the information here is quality based data.

• admin says:

Hi Kristi.

Thank you for the compliment about the information I write for wood fences that we build here in the Los Angeles area!

3. r11 says:

This one in particular caught my eye because I am a
    Larry Bird fan that actual lived in French Lick. Before we start, you’ll need need 3 things: A blog,
    commitment, and good page rank.

4. Angelique Serumas says:

I like this internet site because so much unique material on here :D.

5. Dillon Millsaps says:

Usually I don’t post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up compelled
    me to do it! Your writing has surprised me.
    Thanks, very nice article.

• admin says:

Dillon thank you for your compliments! Writing and building wood fences in the Los Angeles area have now become mutually inclusive skills!

6. marc says:

hi, i saw your company online and like to get a backyard fence and gate made. I like to use redwood since my side fence is also made out of redwood. If your estimate comes in at a price i like i like to get the job done the second week of April.

• admin says:

Hi Marc.
      OMG I just now found your comment, it was in my spam folder. Sorry for this delay. Thank you for the comment and interest for a new Redwood backyard fence and gate!!